Thursday, April 22, 2004

Music Studies 1: Contemporary Country, or Fanfare for the Socio-Economic Unfortunates

Among my many interests, music has always held a special place. Unfortunately, I am cursed with hereditary tone-deafness and this has made my own ventures into song somewhat less than successful. But I remain fascinated, on an almost anthropological level, with various incarnations of the melodic form.

Country is surely the most underanalyzed of all genres. While the likes of Greil Marcus have farted out entire books on the Sex Pistols and their ilk, some of the best-loved country artists of our time have had scarcely a run-on sentence penned in tribute. Where are the 14-page expositions on "I Love A Rainy Night"? The heated debates over the best Porter Wagoner album? A "He's Hot, He's Sexy, He's Dead" cover featuring Marty Robbins? The same intelligentsia that suppresses Lombaire just won't allow it.

It's a shame really, because so much of country music today has a message as relevant to our time as any of the great protest anthems of the '60s. Take the work of Travis Underwood, Nashville's newest sensation. Travis began his hit career a dozen years ago, mostly performing humorous "answer songs" to the work of other artists - titles like "Achy-Breaky This!" and "That John Michael Montgomery Look Like Some Kinda Queer, Don't He?" But since 9/11, his lyrics have taken on a more serious tone. The centerpiece track on his new CD, These Colors Don't Run Like A Girl, is an uplifting tribute to the armed services that even those of us offended by its au courant Francophobia will be moved by.

YOU KEEP US FREE

Lyrics & Music by Travis Underwood

First Verse

You been injured in our wars
Fighting for our flag
Killing Iraqi hordes
Bombing Afghani skag

I'll never forget
The day you caught Saddam
I almost forgave ya
For losing in 'Nam

Chorus

Free! Free!
You all keep us free
From the trenches in Korea
To the shores of Normandy

Free! Free!
You all keep us free
From my daughter in Pomona
To my nephew in Taipei

For I know I could never give my life
For a man like me
Or my hag of an ex-wife

Yes, that's the difference
'Tween you and me
I make the dough
But you keep us free

Second verse

You invaded Grenada
Rescued Kuwait
Harbor-mined Cambodia
When you should've bombed Haight

You came from all over
Volunteered and drafted
Like Col. Blake on M*A*S*H
Some of you sure were shafted

Second Chorus

Free! Free!
You all keep us free
When the terrorists attack
While the Frenchies just sneeze

Free! Free!
You all keep us free
From big-minded Krauts
And sneaky Japanese

Free! Free!
You all keep us free
With boys like you fighting
We'll never be on our knees

Free! Free!
You all keep us free
Even the Coast Guard
Someone's gotta protect the seas

For I know I could never turn my back
On the red, white and blue
Or the men that pull the slack

I ain't paid taxes
Since ninety-three
But boy, when I do
It'll be for them that keep us free

Yes, you and me!

Gotta stand up
For the ones that keep us free

(Speaking) See ya at the CMA's, y'all

No comments: